House finds Martha making her way out of PPTH and informs her that she has been re-re-hired. Martha tells him to find another sounding board because she has enough self-esteem not to subject herself to this. House just keeps going, saying that Joe's hep C isn't responding to the interferon so he needs suggestions for what else to treat him with. Martha is about to walk out, but House says she can't, because then she'd be quitting. He's right. Martha says there's a German study where 15% of hep C sufferers were cured by being infected with hepatitis A. The other 85%, however, kind of died from having hepatitis A and C. Like, of course. What a horrible study. Who would volunteer to take part in that trial? Although it is a German test, so perhaps they didn't actually ask for volunteers. Martha says they could try treating Joe with someone that "mimics" hep A. Of course, House is ready to just give Joe the real thing.
He fires Martha again, which pisses her off enough to bring them both back into Cuddy's office. Martha tattles that House wants to give Joe hepatitis A. Cuddy, of course, refuses to let him do this. "That's an extremely cowardly position," Martha says. I guess Cuddy is now seeing why Martha has such a hard time working with other people. Cuddy doesn't understand why Martha is giving her shit when she's the one who brought this to Cuddy's attention in the first place. Martha says she only wanted Cuddy to know about it because that's standard protocol for an "unconventional treatment," but she still thinks they should put patient care over a fear of lawsuits from Joe's family after he dies from hepatitis A and C. Cuddy points out that they don't even know for a fact that Joe has hep C, which Martha admits is a good argument. Cuddy says if House can prove that Joe has hep C, then she'll agree to the hep A "treatment." Wow, way to stick to your guns, Cuddy. It only took a third-year med student all of three seconds to change your mind. Pathetic. House says that's impossible, but Cuddy says she's sure two geniuses can figure something out if they put their eggheads together.
But they will not be working together, as House says he's going to have to do this the unethical way, and Martha just fires herself and leaves. House walks into his office and finds the Cottages there, now out of jail and ready to figure out a way to give House a positive hep C test. Chase asks why they don't just test Senator Hal for hep C and assume that if he has it, so does Joe. Yeah, I'm so sure he'll agree to that. Please. Also, House says, a positive hep C test for someone else won't be enough for Cuddy. Taub says they can just run the test over and over again and hope they hit on one of the 0.1% of the times when it comes back with the wrong results. Well, that's going to be a lot of fun and shouldn't take that long at all.