Sometimes when I watch 2 Broke Girls, I'm reminded of Freaks and Geeks, in the sense that it's a network sitcom airing during primetime that explicitly talks about (and shows) people doing drugs with basically no consequences. Of course, this is one of the main reasons NBC cancelled that series, and I don't see CBS pulling the plug on this show any time soon. Not that I think they should (hey, it's better than most any other sitcom they've got), or that I think 2 Broke Girls deserves any further comparison with anything Paul Feig has ever done. Seriously, for a show that is this obsessed with drugs, you'd think the writers would have any idea whatsoever on how to create a realistic stoner scene. Poor Beth Behrs should stick to slapstick.
That being said, I don't know if I'm just in a particularly generous mood, but I actually did enjoy "And the High Holidays," at least in terms of how much I can enjoy this show at all. I didn't have to stop and rewind, nor did I roll my eyes as much as usual. Max selling cupcakes to her dealer is actually pretty genius; it fits in with her character, would make the girls a ton of money and realistically, the risk factor of selling "edibles" to your friends in New York City really must be pretty low. Most importantly, I'm glad that Caroline didn't take extra rent money from Andy despite being in serious trouble because the last thing 2 Broke Girls needs is a man for Max and Caroline to rely on. And yet when they took the $500 from Han, Oleg and Earl, it felt true to character and actually very sweet. I even laughed at the Charlie Brown Christmas music playing over them getting the pot-laced cupcakes. I also liked that the meth smoker and his girlfriend looked like Max and Caroline and that the show left the gag slightly subtle, and that Andy hangs out with cool tech geeks who get high and eat pizza together. That, I believe.
But of course, there were moments like these, too:
- Max drinking on the job before hosting a private party at her cupcake shop. (I wish this show just went full-out dark with her and kept the rest of characters more realistic and normal, rather than making her often-referenced alcoholism something more than a cool quirk.)
- Andy brings candy to the diner and then kisses his girlfriend. Caroline: "Look Max, Santa did come!" Max: "From just a kiss?" and then this exchange went on.
- Oleg tells Han and the girls that he hung mistletoe from his penis.
- Max and Caroline have two upcoming events: a Quinceañera for a pregnant girl, and then her baby shower. Later, her family calls because they can't afford it, which Caroline first hears as "got deported" and Max says that they should have seen coming since the pregnant 15-year-old "couldn't afford condoms, either."
- A SWAT team raids an apartment to remove one single man smoking meth.
- Max and Caroline hide from their landlord by shutting off their lights and pretending to not be there, and then they jump out of a window with no consequences.
- Sophie shows up 22 minutes in. Her first line: "Hi girls, I got my period." (Which, actually is kind of cool from a feminist perspective but given how obvious it is that she's about to eat Max's pot-laced cupcakes, it's more groanworthy than anything else.)
- Sophie, on cramps: "It's time like these I think God's a bitch."
- Caroline throws a box of cupcakes, valued at half of her rent, out of a window.
- Caroline: "Andy offered to pay our rent, but I said no." Max: "That is the whitest thing I've ever heard."
Think you've got game? Prove it! Check out Games Without Pity, our new area featuring trivia, puzzle, card, strategy, action and word games -- all free to play and guaranteed to help pass the time until your next show starts.
MOST RECENT POSTS
Warning: file(http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?app=core&module=global§ion=rss&type=forums&id=101) [function.file]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! in /var/www/mte41/mt41-blogs.televisionwithoutpity.com/telefile/2012/12/2-broke-girls-and-the-high-holidays-episode-review.php on line 411
Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /var/www/mte41/mt41-blogs.televisionwithoutpity.com/telefile/2012/12/2-broke-girls-and-the-high-holidays-episode-review.php on line 411
Warning: DOMDocument::loadXML() [function.DOMDocument-loadXML]: Empty string supplied as input in /var/www/mte41/mt41-blogs.televisionwithoutpity.com/telefile/2012/12/2-broke-girls-and-the-high-holidays-episode-review.php on line 413