Apparently, this year being the first year that reality show hosts are eligible for Emmy awards isn't good enough for some people. DHD has reported that, according to a "reliable source," the hosts of this year's Emmy awards ceremony will be not one, not two, not three, not six, but all five of the nominees in the Reality Host category. So if you usually watch the show to escape reality TV (despite the fact that it... is... reality TV), you're S.O.L. But if you love reality TV and want to have a million of its babies live on a major network during primetime, you are in luck.
For those of you who haven't been keeping track of who was nominated in the category (honoring outstanding host for a reality or reality-competition program), they are Tom Bergeron of ABC's Dancing With the Stars, Heidi Klum of Bravo's Project Runway, Howie Mandel of NBC's Deal or No Deal, Jeff Probst of CBS' Survivor and Ryan Seacrest of Fox's American Idol. (Probst recently came under investigation after rival Seacrest was attacked by a shark, despite clearly having immunity.)
While this hosting move makes sense, given that the five are all hosts, and five makes things more interesting than four hours of Howie Mandel, we can only hope that each of them requires another batch of nominees to participate in one of their trademark competitions. For instance:
- Tom Bergeron pairs up each of the nominees for Outstanding Choreography with a former Cheers cast member and makes them participate in a dance marathon. We can check in with them throughout the night, and the last ones standing get the statuette!
- Heidi Klum leads all of the nominees for Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series into a workspace and orders them to convert their gowns into cocktail dresses. Michael Kors will hand out the statuette to the one with the best frock, but he will be slightly tipsy.
- Howie Mandel asks the nominees for Outstanding Lighting Direction to each choose a suitcase held by one of 50 seat-fillers. One suitcase contains the Emmy, one contains $1 million, and one contains Mandel's soul. The other two are full of bees.
- Jeff Probst makes each member of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences write down on a slip of paper who they want to win the Emmy for Outstanding Costumes for a Series. The voting will be secret, and the winner will be handed the Emmy and told to leave the theater immediately.
- Ryan Seacrest gets fed to some sharks.
MOST RECENT POSTS